Background and recording
Selena released her debut solo studio album, Stars Dance in 2013. In late 2014, she released a completion album titled For You as her last release from Hollywood Records. She then announced she would be signing a new deal with Interscope Records and releasing her second album the following year.
"Good For You" was released as the album's lead single on June 22, 2015. The song features rapper A$AP Rocky. The song was released to warm critical reception. It debuted and has thus far peaked at number 9 on the Billboard Hot 100, marking Gomez's 3rd top 10 song on the chart. It sold 179,000 downloads in its first week, marking the first time Gomez topped the Digital downloads chart, and becoming her highest first-week sales of any of her songs. The song's video was released on June 26, 2015.
"Same Old Love" a potential hit written by Benjamin Levin, Charlotte Aitchison, Ross Golan, Mikkel Storleer Eriksen and Tor Erik Hermansen. The song was exclusively released along the pre-order of the album on iTunes on September 10th, and it’s a pulsing reggae fusion anthem where Selena shamelessly tries to imitate the way of singing of one of the composers, Charli XCX. The singer premiered a preview of music video directed by Michael Haussman during a special and private event with fans in Los Angeles on the September 16th. The rest of the video was filmed during Selena’s live performance of the song in the same event. The result was finally premiered through Apple Music on September 22nd.
“Me & The Rhythm” is the first promotional single and third overall from the album, released as instant grat on iTunes on October 2nd. The song was written by Gomez with the collaboration of Justin Tranter, Julia Michaels, Robin Fredriksson amd Mattias Larsson. It becomes the final countdown single before the arrival of the album and it arrives a few weeks after the release of the current second official single “Same Old Love“.
''Hands to Myself'' is the third single written by Justin Tranter, Julia Michaels, Robin Fredriksson, Mattias Larsson and Max Martins. The official was released on TIDAL in New Year and was later released on VEVO on January 18. The song was released as a single on January 26, 2016. It peaked number 7 in US Hot 100.
"Kill Em With Kindness" is the fourth and (as Gomez states herself) final single because of the fact that she is currently already working on her third solo studio album. The song was released to pop radio on May 3, 2016 and reached number two on the mainstream top 40. Selena Gomez stated that "Kill Em With Kindness" is one of her favorite songs as it provides an important message to always be kind. In the United States, the single entered the Top 40.
In July 2015, Gomez announced that her record would be named Revival and was scheduled to be released on October 9. Its track listing and black-and-white deluxe edition cover were revealed in September, the latter of which depicts Gomez dressed in high-waisted black shorts with her hair covering her breasts. Gomez felt that the cover gave "a little Linda Ronstadt ’70s vibe," and described the picture as "a beautiful representation of where I am." Christina Garibaldi fromMTV News highlighted similarities to the visuals for Stripped by Christina Aguilera (2002), a record which Gomez specified as a source of inspiration during the recording process. The original standard edition cover depicts Gomez in a sequined red dress; it currently used by online music stores, although it was replaced by the deluxe edition cover for physical pressings released since November 30.
Gomez held an invitation-only "Revival Event" at the Palace Theatre in Los Angeles for 800 fans on September 16. It was advertised as an advanced screening of her music video for "Same Old Love," although Gomez delivered a previously-unannounced performance of the song to the audience before revealing that they would be included in the final clip. On October 2, Gomez confirmed that she would embark on the Revival Tour in May 2016; first-leg tour dates in the United States and Canada were announced on October 5. On October 7, snippets of the eleven songs from the standard edition of Revival were made available for preview.
Revival received generally favorable reviews from critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream publications, it received an average score of 74, based on 9 reviews. Writing for Rolling Stone, Brittany Spanos stated that "Revival is an audacious name for a 23-year-old singer's second album, but from start to finish, Gomez earns it," noting that "[t]his is the sound of a newly empowered pop artist growing into her strengths like never before." Sal Cinquemani of Slant Magazine was very receptive, noting that "[s]ong for song, 'Revival' rivals Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Emotion' for breakout pop album of the year, but if it similarly falls short of greatness, it's due in large part to a lack of originality. [...] And yet, all of those songs are standouts." James Reed from Boston Globe opined that Revival is " a forthright album of pop songs that make it clear she is ready to be honest and even vulnerable in her music." Mike Wass of Idolator agreed, calling it "an immaculately curated collection that showcases the 23-year-old's ability to genre-hop and experiment, while staying true to herself." Steve Knopper fromNewsday applauded Gomez for sounding "appealingly desperate and hungry, and this quality transcends the most familiar-sounding material," adding: "Something in Selena Gomez's pop formula is nicely soft-spoken and mysterious."
In the United States, the album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200. It earned 117,000 equivalent album units in its first week (85,000 pure album sales). It also gave her highest first week sales as of October 2015, surpassing her previous album. In its second week on the chart, Revival fell to number seven with 46,000 units. As of October 20, 2016, the album has sold a little over 394,000 copies domestically, 1,000,000 in sales plus streaming (units) in the U.S. The album is currently certified platinum by the RIAA. The album is doing greatly well apparently according to the Billboard Hot 200 charts and Selena's Chart Twitter @SelGomezCharts. The album has spent a total of 49 weeks on the chart and currently stands at No. 100 on the chart. The album entered the New Zealand Albums Chart at number two, giving Gomez her second solo top ten album and highest charting release. In Australia, the album debuted at number three, becoming her highest album on the chart and second to debut inside the top-ten. In Greece, the allbum debuted at number one, while in Brazil it reached number three, receiving a platinum certification in the latter for selling over 40,000 copies. The album also reached the top-ten in other 17 countries, including Canada, France, Ireland, Netherlands, and Sweden.
|2.||"Kill Em with Kindness"||
|3.||"Hands to Myself"||
|4.||"Same Old Love"||
|6.||"Good for You" (featuring ASAP Rocky)||
|8.||"Me & the Rhythm"||
||Mattman & Robin||3:33|
|12.||"Me & My Girls"||
Target edition bonus tracks
|15.||"Outta My Hands (Loco)"||
- ↑ Selena confirming the name of the album
- ↑ Instagram - Selena starts recording
- ↑ Instagram - Selena working with new songwriters
- ↑ Instagram - Studio time
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6640915/selena-gomez-album-revival-release-date?utm_source=twitter
- ↑ http://popcrush.com/selena-gomez-same-old-love-revival-track-list/
- ↑ http://www.mtv.com/news/2267844/selena-gomez-really-naked-revival-album-cover/
- ↑ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018RZ7RHS?keywords=Revival&qid=1451863856&ref_=sr_1_13&sr=8-13
- ↑ http://www.people.com/article/selena-gomez-revival-event-same-old-love-video
- ↑ https://instagram.com/p/8TlADtujCR/
- ↑ http://radio.com/2015/10/08/preview-every-track-from-selena-gomezs-revival/
- ↑ http://www.metacritic.com/music/revival/selena-gomez
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6731005/selena-gomez-scores-her-second-no-1-album-on-billboard-200-chart-revival
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6738540/pentatonix-first-no-1-album-billboard-200-chart
- ↑ http://www.charts.org.nz/showitem.asp?interpret=Selena+Gomez&titel=Revival&cat=a
- ↑ http://www.australian-charts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Selena+Gomez&titel=Revival&cat=a
- ↑ http://greekcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=%7B%7B%7Bartist%7D%7D%7D&titel=%7B%7B%7Balbum%7D%7D%7D&cat=a
- ↑ http://www.portalsucesso.com.br/ranking
- ↑ http://billboard.com.br/noticias/selena-e-bieber-recebem-certificado-de-platina-no-brasil/
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/artist/278617/Selena+Gomez/chart?f=309
- ↑ http://www.lescharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Selena+Gomez&titel=Revival&cat=a
- ↑ http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p%2Fmusicvideo%2Fmusic%2Farchive%2Findex_test.jsp&ct=240002&arch=t&lyr=2015&year=2015&week=42
- ↑ http://www.dutchcharts.nl/showitem.asp?interpret=Selena+Gomez&titel=Revival&cat=a
- ↑ http://www.swedishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Selena+Gomez&titel=Revival&cat=a