On March 27, 2013, Selena released the cover art of her song. She also announced that she would perform the song in On Air With Ryan Seacrest on April 8, 2013.
On April 1, 2013, Selena uploaded an 11-second teaser for the song on her official VEVO account. The video may be viewed here. On April 4, 2013, Selena uploaded the second teaser for this song which can be viewed here.
Initially scheduled for release on April 8, 2013, On Air with Ryan Seacrest began streaming Come & Get It online after being leaked earlier that day. Its lyrics describe an addiction to a troublesome romance; media outlets speculated that the song was directed towards Gomez's former boyfriend Justin Bieber, though Gomez denied the claims. Come & Get It was previously recorded for Rihanna's 2012 album Unapologetic, but was ultimately not included in the record.
After being released, the song received generally favorable reviews from music critics, who noted Gomez's maturing image and new sound. Kyle Anderson of Entertainment Weekly described it as an easy, breezy tune with an ambling melody and a hint of reggae lilt. Jessica Sager of PopCrush gave it a mixed review, stating that the track is a change and a shift, and it was a risk. Gomez may win new fans with the song since it’s pretty far outside of her usual bubblegum Disney box, and her loyal Selenators will likely eat it up regardless. However, for fans of pure pop, they may want to stick with her ex-boyfriend". Meanwhile, Bradley Stern of MuuMuse.com has referenced it as one of Rihanna's tracks from her sixth studio album Talk That Talk but gave it a positive review, stating that Come & Get It is fairly monotone, but repeat listens reveal the song’s infectiousness: The chorus especially with that stuttered chant at the end is pure sticky pop goodness, the stomping beat is smutty enough to inspire a sick strut, and that whirring Bollywood-meets-tribal-electro synth sound lends itself well to some grind-up-against-the-wall make-out action up in the club. On-air-personality, Peter Dee, also gave the song a very positive review, stating that, The Ester Dean-penned and StarGate produced track is a breezy vacation from everything else that our favorite pop divas are currently doing on the radio. She may not have a voice as big as fellow former Disney star, Demi Lovato, but Selena's breathy vocals are just what the song needed to fuse the Bollywood and electro-pop sound, and make it work. Selena Gomez performed Come & Get It at the MTV Movie Awards on April 14th, 2013, The Ellen Show on the April 16th, 2013, and Radio Disney Music Awards on April 27th, 2013.
Music videoThe video starts off with Gomez in a meadow wearing a black dress in the start of a storm. It then shows waves, a close shot of Gomez and the man she loves. She then starts singing and she wears a red dress while dancing what seems like Indian moves. It then shows images of Gomez emerging in water, sliding between mirrors, in the same meadow wearing a tan dress, and her Indian dancers. The video then ends with Gomez in the same meadow wearing her black dress lying in the grass as the storm fades. It was directed by Anthony Mandler, known for his frequent collaborations with Rihanna.
- On April 8, 2013, Selena Gomez performed Come & Get It on On Air with Ryan Seacrest.
- On April 14, 2013, she performed on TV for the MTV Movie Awards.
- On April 16, 2013, she performed the song on Dancing with the Stars.
- On April 18, 2013, she performed the song on The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
- On April 25, 2013, she performed the song on Late Show with David Letterman.
- On April 28, 2013, she performed the song at the Radio Disney Music Awards.
- On May 22, 2013, she performed the song at the 2013 Billboard Music Awards.
- On May 24, 2013, she performed the song at the Graham Norton Show.
- On July 4, 2013, she performed the song at Macy's 4th of July celebration.
- On July 27, 2013, she performed the song on Good Morning America.
- On July 17, 2013, Gomez performed the song on the UK program This Morning.
- On July 26, 2013, she performed the song on Good Morning America.
- Beginning August 14, 2013, Gomez performed the song as part of her Stars Dance Tour.
- On December 13, 2013, she performed the song at Z100's Jingle Ball.